Friday, March 25, 2011

Mother Nature=1 Me=0


So today was cold. And wet. But I thought I could do it. I put on my running outfit and then a hoodie. I grabbed some earmuffs. I went and opened the door, felt the temperature, and then turned around for some gloves. At first, it wasn't so bad. Cold. But I started off just fine. I got about halfway through (I changed the voice that tells me to run to a woman. surprisingly it is still just as unpleasant). Then I realized that my legs were numb. But I was sweating. And I couldn't breathe. I walked for a few minutes, trying to get my breath, but the cold burned, and it started to rain harder.

I still couldn't catch my breath. I felt a little light-headed. I felt like I was going to throw up. Thankfully, I stayed in range of my neighbor, who just so happened to be a paramedic. I figured If I go down, might as well do it in his driveway.

I decided that half way through was good, and that getting any wetter in the cold couldn't possibly be good for my health. Counter-productive, yes? I went back home.

Do I count this as a setback? No. They say to listen to your body, and mine was waving a white flag. The cold air, the wet rain, not at all beneficial. I got some cardio in, and I felt pretty good about it. But I'll know next time it's below 32 degrees and raining that I should probably do the elliptical in the basement instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment